Market at Dothan features seasonal recipes, so that you can buy your local ingredients from our farmers. Cooking and Eating locally, year round has never been easier or tasted so good! Bon Appetit Y’all!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Peppery Grilled Okra with Lemon Basil Dipping Sauce
Source: Southern Living Farmers Market Cookbook (Entered by Amanda Mueller)
Okra is at it’s peak…great time to try this recipe!
Serves: 8 servings
1 Cheesecloth or Coffee Filter
1 12 oz Plain Low Fat Yougurt
1/4 Fresh, Basil, chopped
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt, divided
1 1/2 tsp Pepper, divided
2 lbs Okra, trimmed
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Freshly Ground Pepper
Step by Step Instructions
- Line a wire mesh strainer with 3 layers of cheesecloth or 1 coffee filter. Place strainer over a bowl. Spoon yogurt into srainer. Cover and chill 24 hours. Remove yogurt, discarding strained liquid.
- Preheat grill to 400-450 degrees (high) heat. Combine strained yogurt, basil, next 3 ingredients, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper, Ccver and chill until ready to serve.
- Toss together okra, olive oil, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper in a large bowl.
- Grill Okra, covered with grill lid, over 400 - 450 degree high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until tender. Cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer okra to a serving dish, and serve with dipping sauce. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 8 servings